Chocolate cake is a yes, vanilla cake is also a yes. Now imagine both the flavours combined. Now that’s what you call a win win situation. Over the weekend, I got a chance to bake this beauty. The Zebra or Marble cake is a texted cake made with both flavours that when baked gives us this beautiful textured pattern. The cake being a delicacy also has some beautiful memories. This was the cake I had baked when the husband had come to Kuwait from Dubai to meet me for the first time (tricks to woo the man) and the cake worked, it was a yes! (lol jk, it was a yes before he even landed in Kuwait). So without further ado, let’s cake baby!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
1 cup (200g) sugar
1 cup butter (200 g), at room temperature
1 cup (240 ml) milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups (375g) flour
2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp (25g) cocoa powder
1/4 cup (50ml) milk
1 tbsp (15g) sugar
- Preheat oven at 180 C or 350 F. Grease and line your baking pan with parchment paper (I used a 10 inch – 26 cm pan)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder and Set aside.
- In another bowl, using an hand blender (or your muscle power and whisk) mix butter with sugar until it forms creamy texture. Then add eggs one at a time and mix until well incorporated and then add vanilla extract and continue mixing.
- Now keep the hand blender on low, and gradually add the 1 cup milk with the flour little at a time.
- In another bowl mix the cocoa powder with 1/4 cup milk and 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Remove two cups of the batter and incorporate well with the chocolate mixture.
- Use one tablespoon for each batter to create the layers of batter on the prepared pan. (I was in a major rush so I used a big wooden spoon instead of a tbsp.)
- Begin from the middle of the pan, take one spoon of white batter then over it add a spoon of chocolate batter and repeat this steps until all batter has been used.
- Bake for 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack before removing from the pan.
Easy Tip: For the marble effect just add one batter on top of the other and create swirls with a knife or fork
Suggestion: The Zebra cake is enjoyed warm with your evening tea or coffee
I hope you guys try it and make the men fall in louve with your awesomeness all over again.
Until next time!xx